Christianity is a faith aligned to the teachings of Jesus Christ – as presented in canonical gospels, in old testament and in new testament. There are various versions of Christianity based on the authority that interpret the gospels and the teachings of the Jesus Christ. Christianity began as a Jewish sect and soon witnessed a rapid expansion. In the 11th century, a schism within the Christian following created Eastern Orthodox Church and the Roman Catholic Church. In 16th century, another schism created a reformist movement within the Roman Catholic Church and Protestantism came into existence. In India, Christianity and its various denominations were introduced with Colonialism. Today, about 5% of the population in India are officially Christians. Christian institutions play a dominant role in Indian public affaris. This page provides
1. Updates about Christianity, especially relevant to India.
2. Discuss proselytization in the context of a multicultural society.
3. Provides an understanding of colonialization and its effects on Indian society.
This page is a first landing on the web on Christianity from Indian perspective
Christianity – Wikipedia
Christianity – BBC Religions
Islam is a synonym for peace for many of its followers and is being used as a synonym for violence by Western powers USA and European countries. This resource – page is an effort to syndicate and explore resources related to the theme Islam. In India, more than 15% of the population follow Islam – Shia, Sunni, and Sufi among many other versions. Discussion about secularism and social harmony revolves around Islamic communiy. Kashmir, and Communal violence and other security discussions have sustained controversies around Islam and Muslim community. This page strives towards
1. Provide clearer understanding of followers of Islam and their critics.
2. Promote peace, and social harmony in Indian subcontinent.
3. Provide pointers to quality web sources related to Islam.
This page is a first landing on the web on Islam from Indian perspective
ISLAM – Wikipedia
ISLAM – BBC Religions
ISLAM – list of websites
ISLAM – Watch
QURAN – Explorer
In India, discussion about Kashmir almost always ends in a confusion due to lack of consensus on every single issue related to the crisis situation. This is due to the illogical arguments floating in the public domain, sustained misinformation campaign by vested interests and lack of awareness about reality. The objective of any Kashmir related activity should be
1. Set out clear objectives for a debate, or for an initiative.
2. Provide valid information, arguments and insights leading to the realization of objectives.
3. Provide pointers to web sources to help sustaining meaningful perspectives.
This page is a first landing on the web in an urgent effort to reduce confusions regarding Kashmir
Kashmir is a long standing security concern for India. Pakistan is waiting for a suitable opportunity to annex Kashmir. Unrealistic assessment of Pakistani establishment has been exposed in previous wars – but Pakistani society as a whole has not learnt any lessons so far.
China and other global powers are responsible for complicating the Kashmir problems for India. Lack of awareness about the problem, lack of consensus on various issues of Kashmir among Indians can be cited as main problems faced by India. This page provides lists resources to address these problems
What is Happening in Kashmir – NOW
AGITATIONAL TERRORISM – is adopted by separatist forces and expressed through exploting Islamic religious sentiments in Kishtwar district. On the day of Ramzan, a communal riot broke out in which shops and houses of minority Hindus were targetted by anti Indian Muslims who were carrying Pakistani flags for the Id prayers. Two relevant reports in this regard – by Samvada.org and by South Asia Intelligence review
kashmir-medsyn : a blog on Kashmir by media.syndicate. Intended to individuals who would like to take a sensible stance on History of Kashmir, disputes around the region and proposed newer arrangements.
Panun Kashmir is an organisation of displaced Kashmiri Pandits (Kashmiri Hindus) founded in December 1990, in order to demand that a separate homeland for Kashmir’s Hindu population be carved out of the overwhelmingly Muslim Valley of Kashmir. Panun means “our own” in Kashmir. Panun Kashmir is an imaginary region north and east of river Zhelum demanded to protect Hindus from onslaught of Muslim/Islam. Panun Kashmir Website
Kashmiri Shaivism – Vaideeka philosophy taught by teachers from Kashmir – Abhinavagupta, and Jayaratha.
In a recent article, WSJ compiled an arbitrary list of suggestions for avoiding sexual exploitation of women and to ensure their safety. The article cited Shop mannequins, skirts, dating, bollywood, public events facilitating physical intimacy, internet pornography, co-education as some of the reasons to be tackled for reducing crime against women. Technological solutions like a wrist watch and cultural solutions such as revival of Hindu culture and praying to God were also proposed. These suggestions have come from various sources including politicians, social activists, women activists, technologists and administrators. Each of these suggestions proposes a partial solution. But the compilation fails to propose a comprehensive solution to the problem.
Media.syndicate proposes the following minimal set of suggestions to tackle the problem in a holistic way.
- Avoid touch: Physical touch could escalate emotions and prohibiting physical touch socially would go a long way in ensuring safety of women and children, especially from sexual exploitation. The touch to be avoided includes public physical touch between any two individuals of opposite gender. It is also advisable to avoid touch among married couple in public. This suggestion may look strange and archaic but careful consideration would reveal its worth.
- Avoid private interactions: Private interactions between two individuals could lead to escalation of emotions, physical intimacy or to reduction of conversational barriers. Avoiding private interactions – including private conversations, spending time, working together would go a long way in ensuring safety and security of women and children. Many of the interactions between two individuals can also be done in the presence of others. For example, a student gets guidance from a teacher in the presence of other students. In the workplace, subordinates can receive separate instructions from their manager in the presence of their other co-workers.
- Maintain interaction barriers: Maintain barriers in interactions such as conversations, e-mails, chats, phone calls. Keep the interactions formal. Maintaining formality in dressing, and behaviour would also help.
- Legal provisions, social norms are to be based on the three suggestions listed above.